Tuesday, December 14, 2010

WRAPPING UP 2010 WITH SWEET BABOO

Is Steve Black aka Sweet Baboo the hardest working member of the Musicians Union of Wales (assuming such a branch exists)? As well as releasing his excellent third album “I’m A Dancer / Songs About Sleepin’” and touring his pants off, he has also played live or on record with Cate Le Bon, H Hawkline, Spencer McGarry Season and El Goodo this year. And released an EP as Wickes his band with Rob Jones of The Voluntary Butler Scheme. And earlier this year the Welsh Tourist Board used ‘How I’d Live My Life (aka The Bumblebee Song)’ from 2009’s “Hello Wave” to promote visits to Wales.

“An astonishing musician well worth investing time to listen to. His lyrical prowess, his beautifully dark songs, and overall wonderfulness will make you want to clutch him to your bosom for a long while. One of Wales’ finest” Huw Stephens (BBC Radio 1)

The phrase ‘National Treasure’ springs to mind...Here’s how Sweet Baboo remembers (just) his year.

What I will remember most about 2010 is...
Having to stay in New York for an extra two weeks due to the dust problems, nearly getting killed by Bill and Patrick, going on my first non music-based holiday since 2004, the formation of Wickes, The Apprentice Kids, normal and Celebrity USA, discovering fish curry, you know the normal stuff!

What should be forgotten about 2010…
I have an awful memory so will no doubt have forgotten 2010 by 2012.

The best gig I played was...
There's a few, the last minute slot at Green Man main stage was fantastic [watch '12 Carrots of Love'], as was the cinema tent gig the next day, the Fence Collective's Away Game on the Scottish Isle of Eigg, there's too many to mention. It's been a fun year for gigs, it was over a hundred last time I counted. (as of the 23rd of November) There's still a few more to come.

The best gig I saw was...
Hmm. Easy: Y Niwl are always the best band, everytime. But I also renewed my love of Belle and Sebastian at Latitude and I managed to see Acid Mother's Temple three times which is pretty cool!



A record from 2010 that will be still be played in 10 years time?
Woods 'At Echo Lake' - That's my favourite album of 2010
Devendra Banhart 'Foolin' - that's the single


Overlooked in 2010?
Although I am biased as I played bass on the album but 'Episode 2' by Spencer McGarry Season.

And what can we look forward to in 2011 from Sweet Baboo?
I'm gonna record an EP before christmas and hopefully release it early next year, then we have something planned as a band for release sometime before the summer, then a big relax maybe!

And ahead of that here's a song from the "I'm A Dancer/Songs About Sleepin'" sessions that didn't make the album.

No comments: