Sunday, December 13, 2009

WRAPPING UP 2009 with The Miserable Rich

After Clinic yesterday, here is another band who didn’t release an album in 2009. “Twelve Ways To Count”, the debut album from The Miserable Rich, came out late in 2008 and the single from that album ‘Pisshead’ made it – just – on to later copies of my songs of the year compilation. This year the Brighton-based five piece did release an EP of cover versions in November. However I will associate 2009 with The Miserable Rich as they were the single band I saw most this year (at Dulcimer, The Deaf Institute, Sacred Trinity Church and Fuel).




The band’s singer/percussionist James de Malplaquet shares his thoughts about the year:

What I will remember most about 2009 is...
It's a toss-up between recording our second album, and trying to do a photo shoot in a freezing Austrian river the morning after a gig. Certainly blew away the cobwebs.

What should be forgotten about 2009...
All the shitty money stuff.

The best gig we played was...
The Orange Blossom Festival in Northern Germany. Wonderful 2000 crowd, sold 200 CDs in an hour, and they had bottles of absinthe back stage. The memories are a little hazy from there on in.....

The best gig I saw was...
I wasn't there myself but everybody tells me I missed the gig of the year with Andrew Bird at the Green Man. No sour grapes - just wish I'd been there.

A record from 2009 that will be still be played in 10 years time?
Andrew Bird - Noble Beast. Grizzly Bear - Veckatamist

Overlooked in 2009?
Yes, the thought had crossed our minds.

And what can we look forward to in 2010 from The Miserable Rich?
We''ll be back with our new record “Of Flight And Fury”. It's got a life of its own - and a fiery little number it is too.

The band have been playing some of those new songs this year – I filmed Wolfie at Fuel plus elsewhere on You Tube you can hear Oliver, Somerhill, Bye Bye Kitty and Chestnut Sunday. "Of Flight and Fury" will be released on Humble Soul in the Spring. Looking forward to 2010 already!




THE KNIFE-THROWER'S HAND [last.fm]
The Miserable Rich
Twelve Ways To Count [BUY]

No comments: